Some of my earliest, fondest memories of Christmas are from the trips our family would take to look at Christmas lights.
And since the seat belt laws of long ago were very different, some of my memories include three little kids along with mom and dad squished into the cab of an F-150 Ford Pickup truck. Radio blaring, we’d head out to find the best lights in town, ooh-ing and ahh-ing at every turn.
Now that I’m an adult, I relish these moments with my kids. We’re keeping the tradition alive and adding our own twists. Each kid chooses an item to count up while we’re looking at lights. Maybe it’s Santas, candy canes, deer, or penguins… whatever the item, it keeps them engaged and excited the whole time.
Hopefully you’ll be able to join in the fun, too. To help you out, we’ve put together the 2012 grkids.com Interactive Holiday Lights Map!
When you click on a map icon, more information will be revealed (including reader comments) about each stop. Also, pan to Muskegon, Kent City, and Greenville for more houses.)
Otherwise, look below for a listing of houses. These are all locations suggested by our facebook readership. Some may not have full addresses, but each listing will give you a general idea of where to go. We hope that you and your family make many fond memories as you head out to see the Christmas Lights in greater Grand Rapids!
- House on 48th St between Eastern and Division.
- Princeton Estates- Whole neighborhood – Drive thru the sub division and experience several homes with holiday decorations.
- Alger Heights Neighborhood Lights Competition
- 1746 Secretariat Dr SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 – Huge display and lights timed to music.
- Cascade Pointe – off of Burton
- Whole Neighborhood – (all the back roads between fuller and Plainfield) are pretty lit up.
- Nite Lights – A mile long drive thru the Fifth Third Ballpark with light exhibits. Admission is charged per vehicle, $12 and up.
- Collindale Ave NW & 7th St NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 – A HUGE display that seems to get bigger every year.
- 938 Ariebill St SW, Wyoming, MI 49509 – Lights are timed to a music station you can only get by parking outside the house and tuning in. Simply Spectacular!
- 7585 Boulder Bluff Dr, Jenison, MI 49428 – House Next to entrance of Boulder Bluff estates in Jenison. Plays music and all… (It’s right off of baldwin, first street on the left as you come up the hill).
- Lot of Lights – 7785 Westside Dr, Hudsonville, MI 49426-8668. Light show in Hudsonville.
- 4608 Sun Meadow Ln, Hudsonville, MI 49426-8998. 2 Deuling houses in a cul-de-sac. They accept donations for a local charity.
- Holiday Road Light Show – Indoor light show. Free, accepts donations for charity. 1072 E Sternberg Rd, Norton Shores, MI 49444-8796. The show runs every 20 minutes indoors. To get your show tickets/passes please go to the shore front with the flashing candy canes at The Pointes Shopping Center. http://www.holidayroadlights.com/
- 752 17 Mile Rd NW, Kent City, MI 49330. This guy decorates HUGE! There is a pond, trees, houses etc… Worth it!!! There’s a place to pull over too!
They even decorate in the woods!
- White’s Winter Wonderland. 14181 MacClain St, Gowen, MI 49326-9711 – Drive thru and tune your radio to FM 89.1 and listen to the music as the lights dance.
- 7938 Whitburn Dr SE, Ada, MI 49301-9398. House on Whitburn Dr SE off of Buttrick has thousands of lights, snowmen, reindeer and Santa
- Whole Neighborhood! The Whispering Hills neighborhood in Lowell has many houses with lights. There is one house that goes all out every year. There is even a lighted tunnel over the sidewalk!
Where will we find your favorite West Michigan holiday light display?
Other Christmas posts of interest: