The Iris Farm is a Must if You’re Up North in June
Last time we were up north, we drove past the Iris Farm. I haven’t been to the Iris Farm in three or four years, but the irises I bought back then are doing so well in my yard that I have been wanting to return for more.
Seems luck was on my side because the irises were just starting to bloom. I’m not sure how I convinced my husband that a trip to the flower farm was the perfect way to relax, but he was kind and let us stop!
The Iris Farm concept is pretty cool.
You (and your family) walk around in the fields of this century-old farm while the flowers are in bloom, write down those you like, and then pay for them.
Except you don’t take them home that day.
Your Iris Order Arrives in the Mail
They wait until August to dig the flowers and then ship them to your house. You can also come back and pick them up if you are in the neighborhood.
I found that taking cellphone pictures was a good way to keep track of the names and colors of those I liked. (Thanks for the tip, mom!)
Even if you don’t want to buy plants, this place is worth a visit just for its beauty.
They also offer daylily plants and a few other items. They do not take credit cards, so come armed with cash or check. If you are like me and don’t have enough cash on you, they will allow you to mail in your order.
Traverse City Iris Farm Details:
- Fill out an order form (take a clipboard) and list the name and quantities of the iris or daylily plants you want to order.
- You may cut iris stems, too, for a fee.
- You pay at the time of order and are notified via postcard when your order is ready to be picked up or you may choose to have it shipped.
- Cash or check only.
- Payment may be mailed in with your order form.
- The Iris Farm is located at 5385 E Traverse Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684. The phone number is 231-947-9040.