Important Info Before You Have a Baby in Grand Rapids
So you’re having a baby; congrats! And here’s some more great news: Grand Rapids is one of the best cities to start a family in. But before you welcome baby, here are 5 things to know.
1. Know your birthing professionals. OBGYNs, doulas, midwives, and birthing coaches, oh my! The biggest and best advice here is to know your options and be aware that Grand Rapids offers them all. Do your research and once you decide what’s best for you, connect with your professional and create your game plan. Here are some great resources to get you started:
2. Know your birthing locations. Whether you decide to give birth in a hospital or welcome your baby at home, Grand Rapids has options. Again, do your research and select what’s best for your plan. Hint, knowing your birthing professional ahead of time will help guide you in deciding a location.
3. Know where to buy your baby gear. Shopping for baby (and mommy) is fun and there are plenty of options here in Grand Rapids to make sure you’re prepared before baby arrives. From large name brand stores (including Carters, Babies R Us, and Buy Buy Baby) to small boutiques like Hop Scotch Children’s Store, Grand Rapids has it covered.
4. Know your local support resources and know you’re not alone. Postpartum depression is a real thing and there is help right here in Grand Rapids. Baby changes everything, your hormones included, so rest assured resources are plentiful.
5. Know your childcare options. Whether you’re planning to stay home fulltime or work outside of the home, everyone needs a break at some point! If you’re lucky you can leverage those eager-to-babysit extended family members for free childcare, but if you’re like the rest of us, it’s smart to start searching for your babysitter, nanny, or full time daycare sooner rather than later.
Good luck, and welcome to the grkids family!