Veteran ArtPrize moms and dads, thanks for sharing your ArtPrize tips for making the most out of this popular annual event. Yes, everyone can have a blast at ArtPrize–no minimum age required!
September 20-October 8, 2017
ArtPrize has grown to be an extremely popular Grand Rapids event, especially on evenings and weekends. If ArtPrize is new to you, or if this is your first visit with kids, take a minute to read over these great tips to maximize your visit. You CAN visit ArtPrize with kids and have a blast!
Here’s a summary of what West Michigan moms and dads recommend for getting the most out of ArtPrize:
Timing is Everything at ArtPrize
- If possible, go on a week day!
- If you do go on a weekend, stick to the more spacious, outdoor venues and use our ArtPrize Field Trip Map to find places that are easy to navigate.
- Looking to experience ArtPrize favorites before the kids melt down? Our Stroller Tour and Map for ArtPrize 9 is a 90-minute, stroller friendly route.
- Don’t miss the big events that happen on the weekends. Watch our ArtPrize Family Friendly Events post for special happenings on the day you go.
- Know where the public restrooms are and plan your trip accordingly. There are restrooms in Ah-Nab-Awen park as well as participating hotels. Also, DeVos Place serves as a good potty stop.
- Park like a boss! Downtown is packed for ArtPrize, but there are lots of ramps and other parking available. If you’re looking for free parking you can park under the overpass to the west of the Gerald R. Ford Museum or at Park Church (10 East Park Place NE).
- ArtPrize runs September 20 – October 8, 2017. Monday – Thursday, most venues are open till at least 8:00 PM. Friday and Saturday many venues are open till 10:00 PM and on Sunday till 6:00 PM. If you have a specific venue you aim to see, please check their hours before going.
Don’t Forget Key Equipment for Adventuring With Kids
- Dress in layers. The weather typically gets much cooler in the evenings.
- Bring snacks and drinks. Many venues are outside, making it a perfect place to munch. Or bring a picnic and stop for lunch/dinner along your way.
- Bring the smallest stroller you have, or leave it home and opt for the baby carrier. Wagons are not recommended.
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear. You will be walking a lot!