School officials emphasize that this initial two-week online learning period will serve as an adjustment period for all with specific goals in mind:
- Students and staff will learn safety and cleaning protocols needed for a safe return to in-person learning
- Students and staff will learn how to be successful in remote learning should a return to virtual learning be required
- Families have a chance to experience and evaluate the remote learning option
- KPS is using this virtual learning period to observe districts that go back to school in person right away to learn from them
On September 8, students and families that wish to remain on the virtual learning track for anyone not comfortable with in-person learning.
KPS Return to School FAQ’s
The district also released a four-page PDF outlining FAQ’s related to back-to-school 2020.
Highlights from this PDF include:
- Students enrolled in KPS for 2019/2020 school year will be automatically enrolled for the coming school year
- New students that haven’t heard from KPS yet should email [email protected] or call 616-455-4400
- Parents will be asked to decide if their child will continue with virtual learning or switch to in-person learning during the week of August 31.
- KPS will provide electronic devices for those that need them and they are looking into ways to support families without internet access
- Students in grades 6-12 will wear masks. Students grade K-5 are strongly encouraged to wear masks. Masks will be provided for students who do not have one.
- Bussing will be provided. Face masks need to be worn.
- Hopefully, food distribution will continue.
Families with additional questions for KPS are encouraged to email [email protected].