MSU Science Festival is so Big it’s Hard to Comprehend!
Sure, the 2019 MSU Science Festival is a free celebration of science that takes place April 5-20th…. but with events all day long, all across Michigan, it’s hard to know where to start.
We’re going to do our best to break down the event highlights and then send you over to sciencefesival.msu.edu to learn more!
Hit Up the MSU Expo Zone + Demonstrations on Saturday, April 6, 2019
Honestly, there are so many special sessions at the Expo Zone, we can’t list them all. Here are a few to give you an idea of what to expect at this free, hands-on, STEAM-focused event:
Saturday, April 6, 2019, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM at Chemistry Building. Appropriate for: All Ages
Animals are amazing! From spots to stripes and horns to teeth, animals are equipped with a wonderful array of adaptations to help them survive in the wild. Join Potter Park Zoo as we explore skulls, pelts, antlers, horns and teeth and learn about some of the fascinating, cool, and sometimes weird physical and behavioral adaptations found in the animal kingdom.
Saturday, April 6, 2019, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM at Biomedical and Physical Sciences Building. Appropriate for: All Ages
Visit REACH Studio Art Center and learn how science and art go hand-in-hand. Learn how art is integral to applied sciences, can expand scientific thinking, and can make science even more fun! REACH will guide attendees through the creation of a make-and-take art project that encourages learning in both science and art disciplines.
More All Ages Experiences to look for on April 6 include:
- Wild Wacky Water Critters
- The Buzz about Bees
- The Chemistry of Human Senses
- pH Rainbow
- Open Source 3-D Printing
- Instrument Petting Zoo
- Birds, Poo, and You!
Basically, the hardest part of the day is figuring out where to start. My advice, get there when it starts, bring a bag to collect papers in, wear good walking shoes, and have fun exploring! If you’re coming with little kids, be sure to check out the events just for them in the Early Childhood Zone. Oh, and don’t forget to watch a few demonstrations while you’re there. They might literally blow you away!
Nights at the Museums Get You in Free – All Around the State
Basically, MSU Science Festival = Free admission to some of the best museums in the state.
Here are our picks for Nights at the Museums (visit their website for the full list):
- Tuesday, April 9, 2019, 5:30 – 8:00 PM at MSU Broad Art Museum in Lansing
- Friday, April 12, 2019, 5:00 – 8:00 PM at Potter Park Zoo in Lansing
- Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 6:00 – 8:00 PM at Air Zoo in Portage
- Thursday, April 18, 2019, 6:00 – 8:00 PM at Impression 5 Science Center in Lansing
Download your Road Map to the Science Festival or Filter by Event/Day
Take a Tour – Discovery is Just Around the Corner
Most tours are offered on Saturday, April 13. Here are just some waiting for you:
- Unraveling the Mysteries of Butterflies in the 4-H Children’s Garden Open House
- Tour and Explore the World of Insects at the MSU Bug House
- Where Does Milk Come From? at Dairy Teaching and Research Center
- Neuroscience Fair at Biomedical and Physical Sciences Building
- Make Your Own Book
- Explore Harris Nature Center Open House in Okemos on April 14.