What Will the Allergist do to My Child??
Taking your child to an allergist for the first time can be somewhat daunting, especially if you don’t know what to expect.
When my son was two, we had an appointment for allergy testing and all I knew was that they were going to prick my baby with a bunch of needles and I was sure there was no way he was going to let them do that without a fight!
Our visit wasn’t nearly as traumatic as I had feared.
And what I learned is that although this visit can often be unpleasant, it is worth it to find a doctor who knows how to work with children. In my case, when we laid my son on the exam table and it became clear that he was not going to sit still for this, the doctor suggested using my lap instead.
I sat in a rolling chair and my son lay face down on my lap while watching a show on my phone. (The phone was a great distraction!) As we waited for the allergy results to show up on his skin, the doctor put a pillow under his head and suggested I roll around in the chair to keep my son calm.
What to Expect at Your Child’s First Allergist Visit
- It’s a long visit! If your child is there for a consult as well as allergy testing, the visit can take 2-3 hours. Arrange childcare for siblings so you can concentrate on your child at the appointment.
- Lots of paperwork. There will be questions about the reason for your visit, symptoms, medical history, your living situation, food, environment, etc.
- Lots of questions. Your doctor will likely spend quite a bit of time discussing your answers to all of the questions in the paperwork to help determine what type of tests are needed.
- A physical exam and testing, if necessary. There will probably be a standard physical exam and assuming there is a need for allergy testing, they will conduct a prick test, blood test or whatever is deemed necessary.
- Test results and treatment plan for allergies. Once the testing is completed, the doctor will discuss with you the results of the tests and discuss a treatment plan for the allergies, as well as any lifestyle or environmental changes that will need to take place going forward.
Favorite Pediatric Allergists According to Grand Rapids Parents
When your child has a condition that leaves them with rashes, coughing, or even with trouble breathing, it is critical to have them in good hands. So having a kid with allergies = having an amazing allergist. Below are the top pediatric allergists voted by our readers.
If you or a family member is in the market for a new doctor, whether it be an allergist, a doula, or a dentist, check out our comprehensive Favorite Dentists, Doctors, Etc., Guide. You’ll find the best doctors, voted by our readers, in several categories.
The names in this guide received significant votes from our readers. Any sponsors you see were first voted in by our readers, and then were invited to offer more information on their practice if they wished.
Voted Top Allergist for Kids
Dr. Sara Uekert at Grand Rapids Allergy
Dr. Karyn Gell, Dr. Christine Schafer, Dr. Sara Uekert, Grand Rapids Allergy
Struggling with allergies and asthma can interfere with a child’s school performance, interrupt restful sleep and diminish simple enjoyment of daily activities. The good news is, there are safe, effective treatments for children’s allergies. We encourage you to explore these options in partnership with our clinical team. We will work with you to create care plans that allow you and your child to experience life without limits. At Grand Rapids Allergy, our physicians are passionate in their efforts to identify and manage allergic triggers for healthy, thriving families. You are unique. Your allergy treatment should be too!
“At Grand Rapids Allergy, they are so professional, and also incredibly empathetic and understanding. They know what they are doing, and they work with you! It was horrible having to have my 4-year-old do the test, but the staff are quick, efficient, and super knowledgeable. I highly recommend!”
1 – Uekert, Dr. Sara (Grand Rapids Allergy)
2 – Kelbel, Dr. Theodore (SHMG Allergy & Immunology – Grand Rapids)
3 – Millar, Dr. Mark (Allergy & Asthma Care of Western Michigan)
4 – Hartog, Dr. Nicholas (SHMG Allergy & Immunology – Grand Rapids)
5 – Schafer, Dr. Christine (Grand Rapids Allergy)
6 – Gell, Dr. Karyn (Grand Rapids Allergy)
7 – (TIE) Bishop, Dr. James
(TIE) Heyboer, Dr. Lisa (SHMG Allergy & Immunology – Grand Rapids)
(TIE) Strabbing, Dr. Richard (Michigan ENT and Allergy Specialists)
(TIE) Townley, Dr. Richard (Allergy Associates of Western Michigan)
Dr. Richard Strabbing, Michigan ENT & Allergy Specialists
Our locally owned and operated team specializes in individualized ear, nose, throat, and allergy care. We honor our patient’s individual needs with respect, compassion, and a health care plan that supports their lifestyle and goals.