A Bit about Johnson Park
Johnson Park is a beautiful, sprawling park along the Grand River in Walker. It connects to Millennium Park through the Kent Trails system. Covering nearly 260 acres, Johnson Park has a lot of room to spread out, relax, and enjoy the great outdoors.
Because Johnson Park is so large, I’d recommend reviewing their park map before heading out — it’ll give you a better understanding of the park and where to find entrances.
Their address will take you to the main entrance near the historic closed shelter, a popular place for rentals. However, sometimes this entrance is closed. There is an entrance off of Butterworth to get to the yellow playground in this part of the park. Further down Butterworth you’ll find another entrance to the red playground area, where there is a bathroom and covered picnic shelter.
Locals love the disc golf course and the baseball fields, as well as the paved path for biking and the nature walk. They also love that it’s a clean park!
Tips for Your Trip from other Parents
- This would be a fun place for a picnic, with all the beautiful shade trees. Pick a picnic table or lay a blanket in the grass.
- There’s a fun sledding hill in winter.
- There’s a nice walk through the woods, but it is hilly and sometimes buggy.
- Watch kids if you play at the yellow playground area. It’s not far from the yard of the enclosed shelter, where lots of events take place. My son almost ran across the lawn to the corn hole sets that were set up for a wedding reception!
- The main entrance (where the address will take you) can be closed, so you’ll have to access the park via Butterworth.
- Lots of fishing opportunities along the Grand River.
Grab Your Coffee and Head to the Park
Tap the map icons to reveal the park address and the location of the nearest BIGGBY.
The BIGGBY closest to Johnson Park is located at 3910 Chicago Dr SW, Grandville, MI 49401.
Have Tips or Questions about Johnson Park?
Leave us a comment below and we will get back to you!
MORE PARKS TO EXPLORE
Note: As of the summer of 2019, the beach is a bit narrower than it has been in past years (as many area beaches seem to be shrinking this year). There is still room [...]
Michigan is the Ultimate Beach State We are spoiled in West Michigan. Our backyard has mile after mile of the most pristine shoreline and beaches that help us remember what play time is all about. [...]
Read this Before You Hike the Trails at Brower Lake Nature Preserve 8748 Je-NE-Be Dr NE, Rockford, MI 49341 The Scoop on Brower Lake Nature Preserve Tucked away between homes and cottages [...]
Where and When You Can Find Concerts and Movies in the Park If you've got wiggly youngsters, you'll love bringing them to one of your favorite concerts or movies in the park this summer. [...]
Read this Before You Hike at Provin Trails Park 2900 4 Mile Rd, Grand Rapids Township, MI 49525 The Scoop on the Trail Provin Trails Park in Grand Rapids Twp is a great [...]
Check out the brand new Imagination Station in Grand Haven. This amazing rebuilt is going to be a magnet for kids of all abilities.
Pack Up the Snacks and Head Out for an Afternoon of Free Playground Fun Kids love parks. And as a parent, I do too. My kids get to be outside, explore, and be active. [...]