Note: As of the summer of 2019, the beach is a bit narrower than it has been in past years (as many area beaches seem to be shrinking this year). There is still room to set up a towel and play for the day, but space is more limited than it has been in years past.
Follow the Tunnel to Lake Michigan Glory at Tunnel Park
It’s no surprise (given the name) that one of the cool things about Tunnel Park is the tunnel you walk through to get to the beach. So much fun for kids!
But if underground walks don’t excite you, there’s plenty of above-ground views to keep you coming back to this popular beach in Holland.
Like a dune climb with panoramic views of Lake Michigan. Or the sandy beaches.
Part of the Ottawa County parks system, Tunnel Park is a favorite for families. There’s a clean beach, bathrooms, playground for kids, and lots of picnicking areas.
Tunnel Park is also partially handicap accessible. Barrier free areas include the picnic shelters, restrooms, playground, some picnic tables and grills, as well as trails to key use areas including through the tunnel to a beach overlook deck, according to Ottawa County Parks.
Tips for Your Trip from other Parents
- Get to the beach through the tunnel behind the bathroom area.
- There are stairs, so pack accordingly.
- There is not a garbage on the beach, so if you bring food, bring a bag to put garbage in.
- While they do have life vests to borrow, they can be claimed pretty quickly.
- If you love sand volleyball, bring a ball – they have multiple sand volleyball courts.
- Picnicking areas and a playground are separate from the beach.
- There’s a really cool overlook and big sand hill the kids can run down.
Have Tips or Questions about Tunnel Park?
Leave us a comment below and we will get back to you!