Where to Find Your Village in the Grand Rapids Area
After I had my first baby, I spent three months working up the courage to attend a mom’s group in my area. I’m so thankful that I did because I quickly learned that we are not meant to parent alone. We need the support and camaraderie of other people who understand us.
Whether it’s parenting or fitness or finding a general support group, being part of a community is great for your well being.
In addition to mom’s groups, we’ve found groups for fitness, newcomers, dads and more.
If you know of others that should be included, please leave us a comment! We would love for this list to be comprehensive.
Parenting and Community Groups Around Grand Rapids
- Community Family Partnership Family Center | A place for youth with behavioral, emotional or mental health needs and/or for their families to get involved, engaged and equipped. Families can connect with others through ongoing support groups, training, parenting classes, a resource library, social activities, and sometimes just a warm cup of coffee and a comfy, quiet couch near people who understand.
- Great Start Collaborative | The Great Start Collaborative is made up of committed parents from all over the county who want to ensure a GREAT START for their own children and all children in the community. Their mission is to increase parents’ skills, knowledge and participation in early childhood planning and decision making in the community.
- Newcomers Club of Grand Rapids | The Newcomers Club of Greater Grand Rapids is an all-volunteer organization established to help individuals new to the Grand Rapids area or who have experienced a change in circumstances to make friends, find people who share common interests and hobbies, become acquainted with the area and to participate in various community projects.
- Side by Side (2012 Griggs St SE) | We are the Grand Rapids chapter of Side by Side, an international group that brings together wives of physicians and dentists to encourage them in their marriages, their faith in Jesus Christ and to provide support for the unique challenges that come with being married to someone in the medical profession. Side By Side is a ministry of the Medical and Dental Association for Medical Wives. Meetings are every Wednesday morning from 9:15 AM to 11:30 AM at Fifth Reformed Church. Childcare is provided. We also have an evening group that meets every Wednesday evening at someone’s home.
- Fit4Mom | Fit4Mom offers fitness classes for women at all stages of motherhood – from pregnancy to postnatal and beyond – as well as free playgroups and mom’s nights out. Classes meet at Trinity Lutheran Church and Mayfair Church. Try one class for free or contact Marissa Andersen at [email protected] or 616-745-0726 for more details or information on playgroups.
- Hike It Baby | Hike It Baby is a family organization dedicated to getting children outside with their families and friends through various group events. We host a variety of outdoor events, including trail hikes, stroller walks, and park & plays around West Michigan. Hike It Baby members can hike with any of 300 Hike It Baby branches across the United States. Our Facebook group keeps us connected, but does not have hike information in order to protect our hikers.
- No Excuse Moms | A local community of women looking to connect and support each other in our personal journeys to wellness. We also host free workout groups where children can attend and play while we exercise.
Parenting Groups – by Type and by Location
- MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) | Groups meet around town at various locations, usually in churches. Caters to the needs of the mother with young children, newborns until kindergarten.
- Bright Beginnings | Bright Beginnings program includes the following services: personal home visits, playgroups/parent meetings, developmental screening, resource network, nutrition information resources. Bright Beginnings is available to all families in Kent County with children birth to Kindergarten entry. Free.
- Ottawa Area ISD Play N Learn | Designed for families with children ages 0 – 5. Monthly sessions are based on a children’s book, with a story, finger plays, crafts and activities centered around the book. Each family receives a children’s book to take home. Child development and reading readiness information is also available for parents. Questions? Call 1-877-702-8600 Ex.4129. Free.
- Daddy Daughter Time | Daddy Daughter Time is a non-profit organization dedicated to deepening the bond between fathers and daughters. We host monthly events for dads and their girls where they create lasting memories. Our D.A.D.U.P. program offers advice and encouragement to fathers looking to remain active in their daughters’ lives and achieving a healthier work/life balance. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter as well.
- St Pat’s MOMS Group – (920 Fulton St) | MOMS (Mothers Of Many Seasons) is a group of women who are mothers of any age or stage of mothering, any religious affiliation. We gather weekly for social, emotional, spiritual, and practical support in our vocation of motherhood. MOMS Group is a venue where mothers gather to share in experiences, seek and offer advice and support and meet other women who understand what it is like to be a mom. Meets every Thursday at 9:30 AM. Free childcare is available.
- MOMS Club of Grand Haven | The MOMS Club of Grand Haven, a chapter of the International MOMS Club, is a non-profit support group for all mothers who have chosen to stay home (full-time or part-time) with their children. We offer frequent playdates, a monthly Mom’s Night Out, monthly member meetings, and much more.
- ABC Moms (1640 E Paris Ave SE) | ABC Moms is a community group for mothers of children birth through age six. We provide the opportunity to connect with other mothers and be encouraged in your role as a wife, mother, sister, friend. We meet at Ada Bible Church – East Paris Campus on the 2nd, 4th and 5th Tuesdays of the month from 9:15 AM to 11:15 AM. Childcare is provided.
- Cornerstone MOPS (1675 84th St SE, Caledonia)| Cornerstone MOPS is a group for mothers who have children birth through kindergarten. We meet twice a month at Cornerstone Church 84th St Campus, from Sept through May. E-mail Laura at [email protected] for more information.
- Grand Rapids Mothers of Multiples Club| A chapter of Multiples of America, we are a non-profit group supporting the mothers of multiples (twins, triplets, etc.) in the Grand Rapids area. Our meetings are the third Tuesday of the month from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Mothers expecting multiples are welcome to attend as many meetings as they would like until their babies are born. Those who have already had their multiples are invited to attend up to two meetings before deciding whether to sign up or not. Stay connected via their Facebook page.
- MOMS Club of Grand Rapids – North| We are a group of mainly stay-at-home moms of kids of all ages. As a club, we offer lots of activities geared towards moms and children. Except for the occasional moms’ night out, our activities are during the day and children are always welcome. Our club includes women with varying interests, ages, and lifestyles. However, we come together with the important goal of raising healthy, happy children.
- MOMS Club of Kentwood, Cascade and Caledonia | MOMS Club is available for stay-at-home moms with any age children. You don’t have to leave the club just because your kids go to school. Stay connected on their Facebook page.
- Moms of Grand Rapids | Moms of Grand Rapids is a supportive local community for women raising their children in the West Michigan area. Our goal is to provide a way for women to make connections to other mothers navigating the joys and challenges of motherhood. Our members are at various stages in motherhood and life- moms who work and moms who stay home, moms of newborns and moms of teens- so we try to offer something for everyone. We have weekly playgroups, periodic family play dates, couples’ nights and game nights. Each month we also have a moms’ night out, a book club, a movie club and a public monthly meeting.
- Momtourage (4411 Plainfield NE) | We are a group of moms of all ages with children in all stages of life, from different walks of life and different areas of town. We come together on Thursday mornings to be encouraged, uplifted and to strengthen our relationship with each other and with the Lord. On top of all that, we have free childcare so we know that it will be a break and a time to relax during our busy weeks. Info: [email protected] or 616-647-1111.
- Seymour MOPS (840 Alger St SE) | For mothers with preschool aged kids (kindergarten and under). We meet at Seymour Church in Alger Heights on the 1st Friday of each month from 9:00 AM -11:15 AM (childcare provided) and the 3rd Thursday of each month from 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM (no childcare provided).
- MomBreak (3060 Wilson Ave SW)| MomBreak, formerly a MOPS group, is a program designed to nurture mothers with children from infancy to kindergarten. Meetings are held two Fridays of the month from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM at First Reformed Church in Grandville.
- Holland Area Mothers of Multiples (660 Chicago Dr) |Mothers of twins, triplets, quads or more from the Holland area who meet on the second Friday of the month at Biggby Coffee from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
- M&Ms (446 W. 40th St) | M&Ms (Moms & Mentors) is a group of young moms and mentor women who get together once a week to talk about God’s Word—as it relates to life and parenting—and fellowship with one another. This is a great opportunity for moms to explore life and faith issues while meeting others who have similar experiences and questions. We invite you to take a break from your busy schedule to join other moms for fresh insight and encouragement through our interactive small group discussion of a variety of topics. Childcare is provided. Meetings are Tuesday mornings or Wednesday evenings at Central Wesleyan Church.
- Moms in Tow | Moms in Tow LLC provides moms and expecting moms a way to find great discounts, meet others for social events, and attend healthy and educational activities in West Michigan. Serving Holland and Zeeland area.
- Mom’s Time Out (3617 Hillcrest) | Mom’s Time Out is an outreach to moms of all ages– new moms, stepmoms, moms with school age or teenage children, and grandmothers will all be welcome! There will be four key elements to our meetings: Friends, Food, Faith and Fun! Put all these together and you have a happy mom! Mom’s Time Out meets one Friday night a month from October through April, from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM. We meet in The Hill at Hillcrest CRC. Free childcare (with dinner!) is available with advance registration.
- BRIGHT Moms (263 Church St.) | BRIGHT Moms is a safe place for moms of all ages with kids at all stages to belong, be empowered and honored, walking in their true identity given by Father God. Bringing their whole heart to be poured into, moms will find rest, revival and freedom. Inspired by the Holy Spirit, each precious mom will thrive in the company and support of other moms and mentors. BRIGHT Moms meets every Wednesday at Alive Ministries from 9:30 AM to 11:15 AM. Childcare is provided.
Know a friend looking for a group? Share our list!