Moving Tips for Grand Rapids and West Michigan
Moving with your family is a challenging experience made easier with the right help.
Are you getting ready to move your family to a new home in greater Grand Rapids? Whether you’re just moving in Grand Rapids to one town over or coming in from out of state, setting up in a new neighborhood is a lot of work!
As parents who have all moved at some point in time in Grand Rapids, our team has gathered helpful information and resources for you on this page. We are here to help make your move as seamless and smooth as possible, so take a look and share this page with friends who are on the move as well.
Want a hard copy? Download our Moving to Grand Rapids - Star Here (21) printable!
Moving to Grand Rapids – Which Neighborhood Will You Love Most?
Click the Links Below to Learn More About Communities in and Around Grand Rapids
- Do you enjoy city-living and walkable neighborhoods? Check out our GR – City and Neighborhoods page.
- Looking for a home close to the Lakeshore? Visit our Lakeshore Area (Grand Haven, Holland, Muskegon, Zeeland) page.
- Whether it’s the charm of downtown Ada or the beauty of Reed’s Lake in EGR, there is much to love about the areas East of GR. Learn more here – East (East GR, Forest Hills, Ada, Cascade).
- Are you looking for a quieter, suburban area to settle in with your family? West Michigan offers 18 suburban communities for you to consider. Make your house hunting easier and learn more about the following bedroom communities that surround GR: Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, West.
- Are you drawn to small town life that’s still only a short drive away from the amenities of Grand Rapids? These towns southwest of GR may be right for you – Southwest (Wyoming, Byron Center, Wayland, Dorr).
Must-Read Resources for Parents
So you’ve bought a house. Now what do you do? Where are the restaurants? Where are the best pediatricians? Where can I take my kids to play? If you haven’t bookmarked this page, do it now. Here is where you’ll find all the resources you’ll need to enjoy our fantastic community once you’ve waved goodbye to the moving truck.
- Whether you want to find the best kid-friendly restaurants or best children’s boutiques or places to place, we’ve put together the BEST of Grand Rapids for families in our annual Grandtastic Awards Guide.
- Save money and have loads of family fun. Check our Deals page often!
- Do you want to find a parent-recommended healthcare provider? Use our reader-voted Top Care Providers Guide.
- No need to google where kids eat free in GR. We’ve compiled a list for you to see where kids Eat FREE or Cheap in Grand Rapids.
- Are you new to this parenting gig? Get prepared with our New Parent’s Guide to Grand Rapids.
- Do you have a preschooler or kindergartner? Find out what preschoolers and K-5 kids love to do in Grand Rapids.
- Are you expecting? Or do you have a baby in their first year? Sign up for our fantastic email series geared just for YOU! You can also find lots of resources in our GIGANTIC Grand Rapids Babies Guide,
SCHOOL & CHILDCARE:
- Looking for the right school for your kids? Maybe you want to find an experience-based program or language-immersion option. Check out our comprehensive Schools Guide listing nearly every school in Kent an Ottawa Counties.
- Do you have an upcoming preschooler? Our Grand Rapids Preschools Guide has you covered.
- Don’t let finding child care stress you out. Our Child Care and Daycare guides will help you find the right fit for your family.
- Have you heard about “Schools of Choice” in Grand Rapids? If you want to learn more, check out our Parent’s Guide to Schools of Choice in Greater Grand Rapids
- For a list of fun indoor play options, head to our Indoor Play Guide.
- You’ll also love learning about the most Popular Parks around Grand Rapids.
- Do your kids want to learn how to play an instrument or take dance classes? Find out where to find Music, Dance, Art, and Theatre Classes for Kids here.
What’s it Like to Live in Grand Rapids?
If you are reading this post and preparing to move to West Michigan from outside the “Mitten” you probably want to know more about what it’s really like to live here. Be sure to read our informative Family Relocation Guide for information on what life in West Michigan is like, both the quirks and crown jewels included!
Welcome to Grand Rapids – we can’t wait to get to know you better. If you haven’t yet, “like” our Facebook page and send us a message so we can “meet” you!