A Regular Date Night is Great for Your Relationship
Motherhood is exhausting. Date Night is a time for me to get away from my kids’ demands and focus on my relationship with my husband.
We sometimes go out on our own for our monthly date night, but we typically spend the evening with friends. It’s great to have adult conversations with no kid interruptions. We often still end up talking about our kids, but at least it’s over a hot meal.
Our team has put together a great list to help you choose a restaurant for your date night for amazing food, great ambiance and time with each other.
Grand Rapids Date Night Restaurants to Try
We went into detail on our top five. Every place on this list is a solid choice for a special night out, depending on your interests.
1. Blue Water Grill | 5180 Northland Drive, Grand Rapids, MI | 616-363-5900
Depending on your mood or the company you are with, you can choose to sit in the dining room, the bar area, outside on the patio, or in the open lower level. All have a lovely view of Versluis Lake. We personally love to sit in the lower open level. It’s more casual and usually there is live music. Try splitting the Blu Bar Egg Rolls and the Chili Crusted Burger!
2. Maru | 927 Cherry St SE, Grand Rapids, MI | 616-458-1900
The freshest fish paired with organic produce leads to amazing sushi! We always start out with a tasty cocktail paired with the Sexy Bacon. In the warmer months, we sit outside. If it is chilly, it is so fun to sit side-by-side at the sushi bar and watch the magic.
3. The Old Goat | 2434 Eastern Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI | 616-288-6976
The Old Goat has been serving the families of Alger Heights since 2015. They cook and make drinks from scratch, which keeps us coming back. Serious comfort food with a twist. If you can, try to make it out on German Night. They have live music and food specials that will remind you of your grandma’s cooking: Sauerbraten, Weiner Schnitzel, Kielbasa Platter, House Made Sauerkraut, Braised Red Cabbage, and Mashed Potatoes with Gravy. Need I say more?
4. Zeytin | 7437 River Street SE, Ada MI | 616-682-2222
This hidden gem in Ada features delicious traditional Turkish food. The atmosphere is understated, but accented with comfy Turkish pillows in the booths. The tomato spinach soup is amazing on a chilly night and the wide selection of entrees are made from scratch. It all makes for a truly unique experience.
5. Grove | 919 Cherry St SE, Grand Rapids MI | 616-454-1000
Grove is an excellent farm-to-table restaurant. We love the option of the Taste of Grove! It offers a 3-course dinner at a very reasonable cost, allowing us to choose different options and the ability to sample a lot of the menu. The menu changes daily. If you have a picky eater, make sure to call after 5:00 PM for the dinner menu.
- San Chez – A Tapas Bistro, blending European, Latin American and Mediterranean cuisine: downtown GR
- Leo’s – Long-time local restaurant, featuring seafood and classic cuisine: downtown GR
- Luna – Farm-to-table taqueria, specializing in Latin cuisine: downtown GR
- Bistro Bella Vita – Essence Restaurant Group establishment, specializing in Mediterranean and Italian cuisine: downtown GR
- Osteria Rossa – Casual eatery specializing in rustic Italian cuisine featuring local ingredients: downtown GR
- Wheelhouse – A Meritage Hospitality Group restaurant offering a contemporary twist on classic American bistro fare: downtown GR
- Cygnus 27 – Sophisticated restaurant and cocktail lounge, featuring a Latin-inspired menu: Amway Grand Plaza, downtown GR
- Lumber Baron Bar – Historic bar serving premium drinks and appetizers: Amway Grand Plaza, downtown GR
- The Bull’s Head Tavern – Local restaurant specializing in American fare: downtown GR
- Hopcat – Grand Rapids born American pub, two words: CRACK FRIES: downtown GR
- Reserve Wine and Food – Go-to spot for cheese, charcuterie and exceptional wine: downtown GR
- ROAM by San Chez – Global street food from the team that created San Chez: downtown GR
- The Chop House – Prime American steak house, a Mainstreet Ventures restaurant: downtown GR
- Linear Restaurant – Farm-fresh American: downtown GR
- Ruth’s Chris – American steakhouse:Amway Grand, downtown GR
- Six.One.Six – French inspired cuisine: J.W. Marriott, downtown GR
- Pho 616 – Family owned, traditional Vietnamese food and coffee: Downtown Market
- 7 Monks Taproom – Serving world class beer and fantastic food: northeast of downtown
- Aperitivo – Full service cheese and charcuterie counter and bar: Downtown Market
East Grand Rapids
- Rose’s – Casual American, Gilmore Collection restaurant: Reed’s Lake in East GR
- Matchbox Diner & Drinks – Old school diner and delicatessen serving classic dinner food and drinks and a handful of seasonal entrees: Eastown
- The Green Well – Essence Restaurant Group Gastro Pub: East Hills
- Brewery Vivant – LEED certified micro brewery, featuring Belgian and French inspired beer alongside European fare: East Hills
- Salvatore’s – Italian, family-run business with old-Italian favorites: west side of GR
- The Søvengård– Scandinavian, biergarten and kitchen featuring hyper-local and seasonally based cuisine and drinks: west side of GR
- The Knickerbocker – Brewpub and distillery serving fresh-made beer-centric food: West Side of Grand Rapids
- Westside Social – American tavern style: Lake Michigan Drive, west of GR
- The Jolly Pumpkin – pizzeria and brewery: southwest GR
- Butcher’s Union – American, exquisite food, inspired cocktails and an unrivaled whiskey collection: westside
- Shang Hai Ichiban – Family-run Asian fine dining, featuring a Japanese Steakhouse, Chinese Dining and Sushi Bar: southeast side of GR
- Shiraz Grille – Authentic Persian: southeast side of Grand Rapids
Wealthy Street Corridor
- Carolina Low Country Kitchen – Three local restaurateurs who joined forces to bring the flavors of South Carolina lowcountry to the GR area: Gaslight Village
- Donkey Taqueria – Full service bar, serving authentic Mexican food: Wealthy Street Corridor
- Electric Cheetah – Local restaurant, serving real food made from scratch using local and organic ingredients: Wealthy Street Corridor
- Terra – Local farm-fresh American: Wealthy Street Corridor
- Thai Chef – Family owned Thai restaurant: Knapp’s Corner
- Melting Pot – Dinner and dessert fondue: Beltline & Knapp
- Licari’s – Sicilian pizza kitchen: Knapp’s Corner and Jenison
Other GR Neighborhoods
- Palio – Authentic Tuscan-style cuisine, Mainstreet Ventures Restaurant: Midtown
- Marcona on Lyon – Modern Mediterranean cuisine: Midtown
- Danzon Cubano – Authentic Cuban: Heartside
- The Commons – 70’s style lounge: Heritage Hills
Comstock Park / Cascade
- Amore Trattoria Italiana – Italian, award-winning, family-run business: Comstock Park
- Mill Creek Tavern – American, food and spirits: Comstock Park
- Perrin Brewing Company – Brewery serving pub fare: Comstock Park
- Ju Sushi & Lounge – Sushi Lounge, featuring traditional Japanese entrees and a unique dining experience: Cascade
Hudsonville / Jenison / Grandville
- Rush Creek Bistro – American, casual dining atmosphere: Grandville
- Hudsonville Grille – American, locally owned, family-friendly: Hudsonville
- Sonder Eatery – American, local, farm-fresh: Hudsonville
- The Win Tavern 33 – Specializing in Michigan craft beers, pub fare accelerated: Jenison
Walker and Kentwood
- Walker Roadhouse– Casual, yet an intimate atmosphere, with a diverse American menu: Walker
- Tokyo Grill & Sushi – Bringing the best Japanese sushi and cuisine to the area: Kentwood
HONORABLE MENTIONS | Brick & Porter, Fire Rock Grille, Founder’s Brewing Co., Houlihan’s, The Mitten Brewing Co., JAKU, Rockwell Republic, Lindo Mexico, WikiWiki Poke Shop, Social Kitchen & Bar, Terra GR, Vander Mill
Is your favorite on this list? Or do you have another special spot that you like to hit up with your date?
Pin this image for future reference!