Find Grand Rapids Date Ideas for Every Whim
Everyone loves date night, whether you opt for dinner and a movie or something a little more adventurous.
Wondering what you can even do in a GR date? So did we, so we compiled a mega list, conveniently sectioned by activity.
We’ve found over 100 fun date night ideas and local adventures in West Michigan for every interest.
There are date ideas for the outdoors types, those who want to take a class, and those who want to go on an indoor adventure or a tour.
Grand Rapids has dancing, live entertainment, sports to watch, sports to play, art and cooking experiences, and more and more.
Couple this list with one of these best Grand Rapids restaurants for date night, and you’ll have a memorable evening in the books.
Explore These Date Night Ideas
104 Interesting Date Night Ideas for Grand Rapids
The next time date night rolls around and your partner says, “I can’t decide where we should go,” you’ll say, “Me, neither. I have over 100 fun date night ideas I want to try!”
See Live Shows
1) Laugh together while taking in a comedy show at Dr. Grin’s in The B.O.B. Performances run Thursday – Saturday. 20 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
2) Enjoy fast-paced, clever improv comedy with the River City Improv team on select Saturday nights at the Masonic Temple (233 Fulton St E, Grand Rapids, MI 49503), or swing by the Wealthy Theatre when Pop Scholars is on-stage (1130 Wealthy St SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506).
3) Watch anything from comedy to improv to Shakespeare at the Dog Story Theater. (7 Jefferson Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503)
4) Solve the case at a murder mystery dinner! The Murder Mystery Company hosts weekend events at Pietro’s in Grand Rapids.
5) Enjoy local theater at the Civic Theatre.
6) Experience the magic of dance at the Grand Rapids Ballet.
7) Be moved through music, drama, and story. Visit Opera Grand Rapids and take in intimate performances or watch world-class performances on screen as the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts live at Celebration Cinema North.
8) Watch as Christian artists perform the arts on stage at the Master Arts Theatre in Cutlerville.
9) Take in touring Broadway shows at the DeVos Performance Hall via Broadway Grand Rapids. Coming to town in 2022 are Hamilton and Hairspray.
Catch a Movie
10) Watch your favorite cult classic film at the Wealthy Theatre.
11) Go back in time and enjoy a drive-in movie at the Getty in Muskegon. Shows typically run from April to October.
12) Catch a movie in the park as many local communities offer outdoor films during the summer. Find a list of locations in our Guide to Outdoor Concerts and Movies in the Park.
14) See festival award winning independent, foreign and documentary films at the UICA. Multiple shows are scheduled every Tuesday through Sunday.
15) Check out a favorite band (or comedy act) at 20 Monroe Live.
16) Enjoy an intimate setting for listening to your favorite singer at The Listening Room. (123 Ionia Ave. SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503)
17) Enjoy live at Billy’s Lounge. Although rooted in the Blues, performances from all genres can be found all week long. (1437 Wealthy St. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506)
21) Jazz it up. The West Michigan Jazz Society boasts a calendar featuring acts daily all across Grand Rapids throughout the entire year.
22) Pack a picnic basket and head to Frederik Meijer Gardens for one of their Tuesday Evening Music Club events in July and August. Or pick up tickets to one of the concerts included in their Summer Concert Series and enjoy great sounds in their intimate outdoor venue.
23) Stop by the DeltaPlex for some Summertime Blues. These free performances are brought to Grand Rapids each summer by Classic Rock 97LAV.
24) Find music in the park all summer long. Find a great list of locations in our Guide to Outdoor Concerts and Movies in the Park.
Dance (if you Want To)
25) Catch one of Moveir Dance Studio open dance classes in Wyoming, offering couples dance, west coast swing and salsa. (2483 Burlingame Ave SW, Wyoming, MI 49509)
26) Foxtrot, waltz, tango and more as you sweep through one of the nearby Arthur Murray studios.
28) Join the Grand Rapids Swing Society and learn to swing dance! Lessons are held every Tuesday night year round and rotate between venues like GRPM, The Lit and Rosa Parks Circle.
Mosey – Museums, Bookstores & Antiquing
29) Enjoy art after dark from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM during Meijer Free Thursday Nights at the Grand Rapids Art Museum.
33) Stop and smell the flowers at the Windmill Island Gardens in Holland.
34) Stroll through history at the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum.
35) Visit one of our many fantastic bookstores. Many of these shops also offer events and book clubs to indulge your inner bookworm. Top options include Schuler Books, Argos Book Shop, Books & Mortar, and epilogue books.
Enjoy Nature – Hiking, Boating, Fishing
41) Star gaze at the the Veen Observatory in Lowell. The telescopes are open to the public on the 2nd and last Saturdays of the month, April through October, when skies are clear.
42) Cruise the Grand River on board the Grand Lady Riverboat in Jenison.
43) Find a local watering hole and go fishing! Bring your own gear, or try the Great Lakes Fly Fishing Company. If you’re looking for more adventure, book a charter sport fishing trip on the lake-shore through Evolution Charters.
44) Check out our Gigantic Grand Rapids Fall Fun Guide and visit a local orchard.
45) Enjoy an event, or just hike the trails, at a local nature center. Blandford, Howard Christensen and the Wittenbach/Wege Center all offer great learning opportunities and beautiful grounds, year round.
Tour Grand Rapids
47) Walk through the beautiful Meyer May House, and admire the work of architect Frank Lloyd Wright, during one of the FREE tours. (450 Madison Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503)
48) Stop by the concierge desk and pick up a free self-guided tour brochure at GR’s most famous historic hotel, the Amway Grand.
49) Enjoy the sites of Grand Rapids via a Segway. Segway Tours of Grand Rapids offer guided rides through the town, highlighting local hot spots.
50) Take a self-guided walking tour of Heritage Hill and learn about 37 of the district’s architectural beauties!
52) Experience some of GR’s little known historical treasures, including Gerald R. Ford’s boyhood home, on the Historic Walking Tour of the Garfield Park Area.
53) Take in the sites of the city in a horse-drawn carriage as Classic Carriages offer downtown rides and tours on Friday and Saturday evenings.
56) Find dazzling pieces of street art on the Grand Rapids Mural Tour.
Eat – Dinner, Coffee, Dessert
Get a full list of Grand Rapids Date Night Restaurants (with a map) here.
57) Try a ‘grown-up’ restaurant. Find a list of reader favorites here.
59) Experience the magic of the Downtown Market, where you can not only shop, but also taste, listen, smell and learn about the goods it has to offer. Or peruse a local Farmer’s Market for fresh, local produce.
61) Indulge in a decadent dessert. For ice cream, head to Furniture City Creamery, Jersey Junction, or Love’s. Try Cakabakery, Sugar Mommas or Sweetie-licious for baked goods. Pick up some hand crafted chocolates at Mokaya, order the obvious at The Cheesecake Factory or go gourmet at La Dolce Vita.
62) Join Martha’s Vineyard every Friday from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM and Saturday from 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM for in-store samples of their finest wine, beer, cheeses and baked goods.
63) Go wine (or mead) tasting. Cascade Winery, Robinette’s, and Cherry Republic offer a large variety of Michigan-made wines and ciders in their showroom. You can also visit the tastings rooms at Cooper’s Hawk, Squibb Coffee & Wine Bar, and Horrock’s. For something out of the ordinary check out the tasting room at Arktos Meadery.
Get Hands On – Paint, Build, Cook
67) Visit the Downtown Market and get hands on with your food. Couples classes are available and include instruction, drinks and a full course menu.
68) Join in on an guided painting session at Brush Studio, Bamboo Studios, Painting with a Twist. Or get creative with having a cocktail with Wine & Canvas hosted at either their local studio or at restaurants throughout West Michigan.
70) Exercise your creativity at Hammer & Stain with their many unique project options like signs, corn hole games, and even simple furniture projects.
71) Grab a glass of wine and let your artistic side flow after hours at the GRAM at Creativity Uncorked.
72) Spice up your life with a cooking class at favorite restaurant. Amore Trattoria Italiana offers free classes on the 2nd Saturday of the month. Or take one of the classes offered by Artisan of Grand Haven, Brown Butter Crepes, or learned to make a favor drink at San Chez.
Cheer – Sports, Racing, Roller Derby
73) Watch roller derby in action as the Grand Raggidy Roller Girls speed around the rink at MSA Woodland in Grand Rapids.
74) Cheer on fast cars at the Berlin Raceway.
Get Active – Zipline, Kayak, Ski, Axe-Throw
77) Canoe or Kayak one of West Michigan’s many lakes and rivers. GR Paddling offers Paddle & Dine trips, allowing to stop for lunch in Lowell, Saranac, or Middleville. In addition to canoes and kayaks, AAA Canoe Rental in Rockford offers tubes and Bill & Paul’s Sporthaus rents by the day, weekend or even week!
79) Be dive buddies. Moby’s Dive Shop welcomes all divers with equipment to Versluis Lake during their open hours.
80) Take advantage of Grand Rapids greens and go golfing. Experience GR has a great list of local courses to choose from.
84) Traverse through the trees on ropes courses & zip lines at Treetops Adventure Park or the John Ball Zoo.
85) Cool down while ice skating at one of the many rinks listed in our Winter Outdoor Play Guide. Or check out indoor options for year-round skating at Patterson Ice Center, Griff’s IceHouse or the Southside Ice Arena.
87) Hit the batting cages at AJ’s Family Fun Center.
88) Release some steam at the shooting range. Barracks 616 or Silver Bullet both rent out firing lanes and the firearms to go with them! Want to go old-school? Try axe-throwing at FlanellJax’s or Target Axe Throwing.
90) Play a game of paintball at T.C. Paintball.
Play – VR, Escape Room, Laser Tag
93) Go bowling! Grand Rapids has many centers available, including the unique, bi-level Clique Lanes.
97) Take a gamble at Gun Lake Casino while catching some hot live acts.
98) Ride go-carts, play mini-golf or try the ninja course without the kids (okay, your kids) at Craig’s Cruisers.
99) Shoot some pool at one of our many local restaurants or try out Anazeh Sands.
100) Step into your favorite game, walk along the canal of Venice or go on a roller coaster ride (and more) when you immerse yourself at Amped Virtual Reality.
101) Compete with others in team trivia for your chance to win cash and prizes. You can find events at numerous locations around Grand Rapids, most every night of the week!
102) Try out all sorts of tabletop, board and card games from the lending library at Blue Bridge Games.
103) Find out who is the fastest when you get behind the wheel of a supercharged go-kart at Grand Prix Grand Rapids.