Spend All Day at Manhattan Park
331 Cascade Rd SE, East Grand Rapids, MI 49506
playground, soccer & baseball, restroom
|This article is proudly presented by John Ball Zoo. We thank them for their support!|
Exciting adventures area happening at John Ball Zoo in 2023! Come see the new animals and join us for all the favorite, fun events. More details at JBZoo.org.
Open year round, Manhattan Park is a popular hangout for families around East Grand Rapids. Many youth soccer and baseball games happen at Manhattan, as well as sand volleyball matches, playground fun and picnics. Their trails hook up with Reeds Lake Trail system and in the winter you can fly down the super big sledding hill!
Manhattan Park is one of over 85 parks with playgrounds in West Michigan.
Manhattan Park Details
There are two entrances to Manhattan Park, the main one off of Manhattan (430 Manhattan Rd) and the other off of Cascade (southwest corner of Cascade and East Beltline intersection).
The playground, pavilion and sand volleyball courts are near the Manhattan entrance. Bathrooms and playing fields are closer to the Cascade entrance.
I enjoy bringing my kids here because it truly feels like a community park.
There always seems to be someone playing catch on the baseball fields, a game or two of volleyball going on, someone grilling, and kids climbing all over the playground equipment while others whizz by on bikes or scooters.
Manhattan Park at a Glance
- 43 acre park
- Four sand volleyball courts
- Four softball diamonds
- Soccer field
- Two tennis courts
- Nature trails year round
- Sledding in the winter
There are swings for babies and toddlers, and one of the play structures is suited for toddlers. There are also four sand volleyball courts that can serve as a giant sandbox if there isn’t a game going on. They may also enjoy the large open areas where they can run freely.
Be sure to bring your lunch to Manhattan Park. The pavilion has 12 picnic tables and two charcoal grills. There is also open space for picnicking.
Tips for Your Trip from Other Parents
- The bathroom is a bit of a walk from the playground (nearer the sports fields) – have littles take a potty break before playing. They are usually open mid-April to end of October, dawn to dusk. Times can vary, but you could count on them being open 8 AM – 7 PM.
- The pavilion is nice for picnics or group gatherings, but reserve it if you want to use it for a group.
- The Manhattan Rd entrance is the one nearest the playground and pavilion. The Cascade entrance is nearer the bathrooms and playing fields.
- Bring out your sand toys for the volleyball courts (if no one is playing a game). My kids loved “digging for treasure” with their shovels.
- The playground is in full sun, so come prepared with sunblock. The trails are wooded.
- Winter Tip: the sledding hill is very cool! (The sledding hill is south of the playground, through a path in the woods, pictured below.)
Map of Grand Rapids Parks and Trails
Find your next outdoor adventure near you with this map of the best hiking trails, playgrounds, and parks in West Michigan.
1 thought on “Have a Fantastic Day at Manhattan Park Playing Sand Volleyball and Burning Energy on the Playground”
Thank you for the nice article!