Welcome to our Parents, Parks and Coffee series where we highlight destination parks all over West Michigan, and help you find coffee to fuel your next adventure. Many thanks to BIGGBY of West Michigan for partnering with us on this smile-making project.
A Bit about Grand Rapids Township Park
Nestled behind the Grand Rapids Township Building, off of the East Beltline just south of Knapp Avenue, is one of the most jam-packed playgrounds around.
Maintained by Grand Rapids Township, this playground and surrounding recreation area is nearing the end of a five year plan to revamp and update to accommodate the growing population in the region.
Today, these plans have made this spot an ideal destination for families wanting to enjoy some sunshine.
The playground area is massive. The main playground area features two large structures, swings, a hanging merry-go-round, see-saws, and even an excavation area for digging.
To the left is a smaller area dubbed the Tot Lot with two play structures, swings, and merry-go-round designed for younger kids to enjoy.
A nearby picnic pavilion houses restroom facilities so you don’t have to go far when nature calls.
The surrounding recreational area also includes a basketball court, four tennis courts, a sand volleyball court, three baseball diamonds, a 1.1-mile paved nature trail and plenty of picnic tables and benches.
There is even a free little library so while the kids play, you can sit back and sip your coffee with a good book.
Tips for Your Trip from other Parents
- There are plenty of trees along the perimeter of the playground area, so you can find benches or tables in shaded or sunny spots. Most of the playground area is very sunny, so be sure to bring sunscreen or hats if you plan on playing for a while.
- The paved nature trail follows a 1.1-mile loop that most kids ages 3 and up can handle, and is also very stroller friendly. It does go through a marshy-wetlands area, so if you plan on hiking bug spray would be a good call.
- The Township Building also houses engines for the local fire department, so if occasion arises the siren may go off as engines leave the building. You might also get to glimpse of them while you are playing which can be exciting.
- Leave Fido at home, leash laws are strict here and limited to a 6′ maximum, and dogs are not allowed into the playground area at all.
- While the bathrooms are kept neat, the pressure on the sinks is high so expect some splash back when washing hands.
Grand Rapids Township Park Awaits You
Have Tips or Questions about Grand Rapids Township Park?
Leave us a comment below and we will get back to you!
MORE PARKS TO EXPLORE
Read this Before You Hike at Provin Trails Park 2900 4 Mile Rd, Grand Rapids Township, MI 49525 The Scoop on the Trail Provin Trails Park in Grand Rapids Twp is a great [...]
Check out the brand new Imagination Station in Grand Haven. This amazing rebuilt is going to be a magnet for kids of all abilities.
Pack Up the Snacks and Head Out for an Afternoon of Free Playground Fun Kids love parks. And as a parent, I do too. My kids get to be outside, explore, and be active. [...]
Splash, Climb, and Dig the Day Away at Allendale Community Park 6676 Lake Michigan Dr, Allendale, MI Allendale Community Park is just a short drive west of Grand Rapids and [...]
A Bit about Quincy Park Quincy Park in Holland is hidden between US-31 and the beach. It's easy to find, but just slightly off the beaten path. It has a little bit of everything [...]
Roselle Park Invites Imaginative Kids to Bike the Paved Paths, Explore the Playground and …Climb the Silo!
Roselle Park in Ada is Unique Roselle Park is not your traditional park. You won't find swings or slides here, or even a splash pad. But you will find a silo that you [...]