This post is sponsored by Silver Lake Campground and Resort, family vacation spot for those who love to camp. Experience breathtaking views of Silver Lake and Lake Michigan as you sit atop a 150-foot hill in a recreational vehicle. The sand dunes are Silver Lake’s family playground. You can rent or bring your own buggy, take a guided tour with the whole family, or simply relax at one of the many surrounding beaches.
**This article is currently under construction so information may not be up to date. Check back in late May 2016 for accurate information.**
Kids Camping in Michigan
CAMPING IN MICHIGAN WITH KIDS
Our huge list has 35 reader-recommended places to take kids camping in Michigan. Did we miss one? Please leave us a comment and tell us where you like to camp!
This post lists reader favorites along with comments about why they love these campgrounds for their families. Some of these facilities are more for RV-camping families, while some are better suited for hardcore campers who leave their technology at home.
UNDER THE BRIDGE (CAMPS IN THE LOWER PENINSULA)
- Near Cheboygan . . . on Mullett Lake and access to other rivers and lakes. Vey nice and clean.
- My family camps here every year. It’s got the cute downtown, great beach, and a small-town atmosphere. Hard to get into, though.
- Covenant Hills in Otisville is awesome for families!
- A slightly more rugged camping experience for those wishing to check out Sleeping Bear Dunes.
- Diamond Lake campground has been a good stand-by when we want to be close to the North Country Trail.
- Duke Creek in Cedar Springs, and no, it’s not the one on the highway. It’s tucked in the woods so it feels like you’re up north, yet I can still go to work downtown. Love the pool.
- This brand new family campground in Silver Lake, Michigan opens in 2016. Dunes Harbor Family Camp is a secluded woodland harbor minutes from Silver Lake and the Sand Dunes with 60 waterfront campsites, among others.
- Hill & Hollow have two nice pools to choose from and nice shaded lots.
- We go to Hungry Horse Campground in Dorr every year! Excellent family camping and the kids LOVE it!
- We live in Traverse City and go to Interlochen State Park, already been there three times this summer!
- Despite the name it takes all types from tents to motor homes – the campground is on the Leelanau peninsula and sits right on Lake Leelanau – tons of families, beautiful area – we grew up camping there and is a favorite to return to every year.
- Lakeside is an awesome campground. You’d be surprised you can’t hear the highway and they do a lot for kids and it is very clean and popular!!
- It’s family friendly on the water and in the woods! Beautiful sunsets and peaceful getaway where kids can ride bikes and play safely.
- Ludington State Park is our favorite camping. There is so much for a family to do, rain or shine, hot or cold.
- Our kids LOVE Mackinaw Mill Creek just outside of Mackinac City … I’ve been going there since I was a kid.
- Muskegon State Park is right on Lake Michigan and it feels like you have the whole beach to yourself!
- OB has an awesome bluff view of sunsets, in a small town, great biking on M22 and is wooded.
- We love going to Pioneer Park in Muskegon for a weekend camping trip because it’s close and it’s right on Lake Michigan and you don’t have to have reservations. Pioneer county park just north of Muskegon was a real find as you do not have to book in advace like the state parks, and it was cheap and right on Lake Michigan. Wish we were not so far away now or it would be our 1st choice.
- Best ever! Super clean grounds, only minutes from sleepy bear dunes, seconds from Platte River which is awesome because you end up in Lake Michigan at the end of your tube/canoe/kayak down the river. Only about 1/2 mile trail walk from grounds and you’ll end up on Lake Michigan. Great for biking. Only about a 40 minute drive to Traverse City, maybe 15 minutes to Glen Arbor. SO much to do in this area, the list goes on and on. Great for kids!
- Very family-friendly, lots of activities for the kids and has outdoor AND indoor pools (for those rainy days).
- We go there every summer! You can get beautiful sites right on the beach and the sunset is incredible! Awesome place for kids and right down the road from Caseville.
- They have a pool a spa, it runs right along the pine river so you can hear the water all night while you sleep and they also have a pond with a water trampoline and the jungle gym and aqua slide! its a great place with family activites. I recommend it to anyone.
- We go to Salmon Run in Grant. It’s great for kids!
- Sandy Pines is close enough for Dad to get to work. Kids can play at the water park, ropes course, tennis, basketball, gaga ball, dodge ball, mini golf, beach fun and rent a golf cart to get around the park as well as play a 18 holes of golf. This is our first year there and are loving it.
- Silver Lake has our founder Melody hooked!
- It’s a great little campground, especially for kids! We’ve gone since our girls were babies – it’s our favorite place! Campsites or cabins.
- Right across the road from the beach and so close to downtown!
- Tyler creek is great. Just got back this week actually! Very clean pool, super relaxed and our favorite spot is lot 7 or 8. We have 3 young kids and being right off the playground, sandbox, volleyball is awesome. Never very busy and always a lot of fun. The “petting zoo” is more like farm animals, but the kids always get a kick out of it. For sure recommend… it’s one of our favorites.
- It’s beautiful and clean. Lots of well manicured grass!
- I love Pentwater. We prefer a smaller campground about eight miles away called Whispering Surf. Not so hard to get into, shady, and there’s access to both Lake Michigan and Bass Lake.
- Near the dunes, scheduled activities, pool, close to Silver Lake!
- Especially great for families with little kids…have been camping there since I was born.
SAY YA TO DA U.P.
(CAMPS IN THE UPPER PENINSULA)
- The whole family has also enjoyed camping on Beaver Island.
- Bewabic State Park is wonderful place to camp in the U.P. A wonderful place, we go a couple times a year.
- If in the U.P. the Two Hearted River is great.
GET GRKIDS WEEKLY UPDATES