What Parents Need to Know about the NEW Michigan LEGOLAND® Discovery Center
Michigan LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Opened March 25, 2016
Before we go any farther, here are some important details:
- Tickets must be pre-purchased online to guarantee entry to LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Michigan. Walk-up tickets will not be available.
- Visitors are required to choose an arrival time to guarantee entry to the Discovery Center. Once inside, you may stay as long as you like.
- Also, since LEGOLAND Discovery Center Michigan is a children’s attraction. Adults must be accompanied by a child in order to enter the attraction.
Michigan LEGOLAND® Overview
If your child loves to build, a visit to LEGOLAND® is probably in order. This destination is worth the drive, even from Grand Rapids. Kids ages 2-11 (especially those who are into playing LEGO® Wii Games) will think this place is better than Disney World. I visited with my 5-year old daughter and she was over the moon about EVERYTHING she saw. “Better than Disney,” she said. Which made me sad, because I spent A LOT of money to take her to Disney, lol!
Anyhow, there are multiple rooms of themed fun for you to explore and discover, including:
– iconic Detroit landmarks made from LEGO bricks. This exhibit is interactive- push buttons to make things happen inside of the exhibit. Very cool!
2 LEGO Rides
one involves shooting the “bad guys!” The other, the faster you pedal, the higher you go. Love how interactive these rides were!
LEGO Build & Play Area
Includes racing area and LEGO Friends
DUPLO Farm for little ones
There is a slide and DUPLO building area for kids ages 5 and under.
Bring socks! We forgot and sadly had to watch from the sidelines.
Experience “weather” while you watch a 3D movie. Rain and snow in the theatre? No problem!!
MORE to Explore…
- LEGO Factory Tour – Get a behind the scenes peek at how LEGO bricks are made – and become a part of the process.
- Cafe – not open while we were here, but looks like it will be a great place to grab a snack.
- LEGO Store
- Birthday Party Rooms
Michigan LEGOLAND Discovery Center is located in the Great Lakes Crossings Mall in Auburn Hills. It’s a little over a two hour drive from Grand Rapids.
You’ll want to enter the Mall at District 6.
Combo Tickets and Regular Tickets
The Mall is also home to the relatively new Sea Life Aquarium. If your kids are into animals, I recommend getting the combo ticket for Sealife and LEGOLAND and make a day of your adventure. Combo tickets start at $32 and that’s a great deal (regular LEGOLAND tickets alone start at $23.50 and Sealife is a similar price.) Note: Children under 3 are free.
SeaLife Aquarium has a touch tank that is popular with visitors, great talks about the sea creatures throughout the day, and a passport stamp system that keeps kids engaged as they go through the exhibit. Parts of the exhibit make it feel like you’re walking under the ocean. SeaLife also has a play area for kids.
Will You Visit LEGOLAND Michigan and/or SeaLife Aquarium?
Leave a comment below- let us know your tips and tricks and questions.