John Ball Zoo: Classes and Camps 2018
My family has had a membership to John Ball Zoo for a few years, and it’s one our favorite places to visit! But this year we’re extending the fun by enrolling our daughter, who LOVES all animals and creatures, in some extra zoo fun. We had a blast researching all the exciting camps and classes together, and there is so much to do, she’s having a hard time choosing!
If your child also adores animals, can’t get enough of the zoo, or just loves to have fun, did you know they can come face to face with exotic animals, go on amazing animal adventures, and learn how to care for wild creatures at John Ball Zoo? The zoo offers camps and classes just in time for spring and summer breaks, so give your kids something fun and unique to look forward to with a wild zoo adventure.
Animal Adventures They Will Come Back to Year after Year!
Kids ages 3 years old through 9th grade can enjoy a variety of opportunities that range from two-hour classes to 4-day camps. There are even overnight adventures for older kids!
“We try to offer programs that fit a variety of ages,” says Rhiannon Mulligan, John Ball Zoo’s education program manager. “Many kids have been coming back year after year for our camps and programs. Many of our repeat campers have made the transition from camp to becoming a teen volunteer and even paid staff.”
Thrill and nurture your little critter-lover by giving them exclusive and exciting access to the zoo, and see where they go from there! Read on to find out everything you need to know about what the zoo has to offer this year.
SEE ALSO: A Parent’s Guide to John Ball Zoo
Spring Break at the Zoo 2018: Registration Open NOW!
Your kids have been cooped up all winter, and spring break is finally around the corner. What better way to release all that energy than surrounded by animals?
John Ball Zoo Camps are a totally unique, hands-on learning experience for animal-loving kids. Each camp is designed around a theme and brings the zoo to life in a way your kids have never seen before. Kids will delight in interactive trips around the zoo, real animal encounters, games, and more.
9:00am-4:00pm – $100/member/2-day session, $105/non-member/2-day session. For students in Kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Monday & Tuesday, April 2 & 3: Zoo Detective – Can you solve the animal mystery? Use your detective skills to solve which tracks, scat, fur, and feathers belong to the different mystery animals. During our investigations we’ll discover what makes animals so unique and spectacular. Enjoy special opportunities to meet some of the zoo’s unique animals up-close.
- Wednesday & Thursday, April 4 & 5: Just Zoo It! – Explore some nooks and crannies of John Ball Zoo. We’ll see where the keepers make the food, where the animals sleep at night, and some of the zoo’s wild park places!
5:30pm-9:30am – $50/member, $55/non-member. For students in 3rd through 5th grade.
- Friday, April 6: Starlight Safari – Slumber near the chimpanzees on this great zoo adventure. Enjoy touring the zoo under the stars, animal encounters, breakfast while watching the animals, and even deliver a special treat to some of the animals!
Registration is currently open and filling up fast, so reserve your spot today.
Summer Break Camps 2018: Registration Opening SOON!
For over 25 years, West Michigan kids have made unforgettable memories at John Ball Zoo’s Summer Zoo Camp, and 2018 promises to be the best year yet!
Kids ages 3 years through 9th grade are placed in small classes by age, and spend the summer exploring different animal themes through activities like games, zoo tours, park exploration, behind-the-scene sneak peaks, keeper talks, hands-on animal demonstrations, songs, stories, and art projects.
Classes range from Critter Tales for 3 year olds to Extreme Animals for 3rd and 4th graders; from the Kindergartner’s Bird Bonanza to the middle schooler’s Junior Keeper classes. There is something for everyone!
Click here for a complete schedule and class descriptions.
Early registration for summer camps is March 19-27 for zoo members, and registration opens for everyone else on March 28.
Cost information for summer camps:
- 4-Day Camps (AM or PM) – $75/Member/Class, $80/Non-Member/Class
- 2-Day Camps (Full Day 9am-4pm) – $100/Member/Class, $105/Non-Member/Class
- Overnight Camps – $50/Member/Class, $55/Non-Member/Class
Zoo Classes & One-Day Programs: A Roarin’ Good Time
John Ball Zoo also offers one-day classes and programs throughout the year for kids 3 and up. These themed classes and programs are hands-on learning fun that are sure to be a hit with any creature-loving kid!
- Sprout Series (ages 3 & 4) $18/member/class, $20/non-member/class; Thursdays and Fridays, 9:00-11:30 am. A class especially for the youngest zoo enthusiasts! Your child will be in a small class (5:1 student teacher ratio), and will spend the morning singing, crafting, playing, touring the zoo, and meeting animals. A light snack is provided. Spring 2018 is a series of sensory adventure with topics like Do You See What I See?, Do You Hear What I Hear?, What’s That Smell?, and Taste that Texture! Note that all children must be fully potty-trained.
- Kid’s Night Out (ages 4-10) $25/child, $20 for each additional child in same household. Held on Friday evenings, 5:30-9:00 pm, kids will love this themed zoo adventure while parents enjoy a kid-free evening. While you have a night out, your kids will engage in a twilight tour of the zoo, a live animal encounter, crafts, stories, games, and a pizza dinner! Kid’s Night Out themes change each season, so check out what’s coming up.
- Youth Overnights (3rd-8th grades) Fridays 5:30pm – 9:30am. Kids can spend the night with the zoo animals! Hear from zookeepers, take a night tour, and see live animal demonstrations. Evening snack and breakfast are included.
- Twilight Tour (ages 5 and older) $9/member, $10/non-member, ages 17 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Bring your family and a flashlight for an evening at the zoo! Learn how to use your senses at night and how animals are adapted to life in the dark. The program includes a guided tour, animal encounters, and hands-on activities.
The Fun Doesn’t End There: More Zoo Opportunities for Kids & Families
In addition to classes and camps, John Ball Zoo has many other great programs for the whole family.
If your child wants a sneak peak at how the zoo works, check out Behind the Scenes adventures like Keeper for a Half Day for ages 8 and up, Sneak a Peak group tours of the aquarium and African Savannah, and Close Encounters with animals from penguins to bears. The zoo is also known to throw wild birthday parties complete with treats and souvenirs!
Pro-tip: It pays to get a zoo membership! Camps and classes fill up fast, and members get early registration before everyone else. Plus, a membership gets you free admission the whole season, discounts at the gift shop and concessions, and discounts on all of the unique camps, classes, and special events!
A lifelong love and respect for animals starts with programs like those offered at John Ball Zoo, so explore the options with your child and let the adventure begin!
Click on our sponsors!