[note]This post is evergreen- we published it last year, but have updated the information for 2015. The play area pictured above is at Frederik Meijer Gardens.[/note]
Great Spots for Water Play in Greater Grand Rapids
Need to cool off but don’t want to go to a pool or the big Lake? Check out our list of local splash pads and water playgrounds in West Michigan!
If you’re looking for a place to hit the beach, check out our West Michigan Beach Guide.
SOUTH/WEST OF GRAND RAPIDS
- PINEWOOD PARK. 1999 Wolfboro, Kentwood. Open Memorial Day – Labor Day 11:00 AM – 8:00 PM.
- VETERAN’S MEMORIAL PARK. 355 48th St, Kentwood. Open Memorial Day – Labor Day 11:00 AM – 8:00 PM.
- MILLENNIUM BEACH PARK AND SPLASH PAD. ($) 1415 Maynard Avenue SW, Grand Rapids ($). Beach open 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM, splash pad open 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM, hours may vary after the 4th Sunday in August.
- LAMAR PARK. 2561 Porter St, Wyoming. Open June 1 through Labor Day 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM.
- ORIOLE PARK. 1380 42nd St SW, Wyoming. Open 8:00 AM – 10:45 PM Monday – Saturday & 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM Sunday (hours given are for the park, splash pad hours may vary).
- SOUTHLAWN PARK. 4125 Jefferson Ave SE, Wyoming. Open 8:00 AM – 10:45 PM Monday – Saturday & 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM Sunday (hours given are for the park, splash pad hours may vary).
- KROC CENTER POOL & PLAYGROUND. ($) 2500 S. Division Ave Grand Rapids. Open starting May 26. Parent and Toddler times Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM and Open Swim Times vary daily, please visit the website for accurate times.
NORTH/EAST OF GRAND RAPIDS
- FREDERIK MEIJER GARDENS. Great Lakes water play area and small wading fountain. ($) 1000 East Beltline Avenue NE, Grand Rapids. Sunday 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday & Wednesday – Saturday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, and Tuesday 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM. website
- LESLIE E. TASSELL PARK INTERACTIVE FOUNTAIN. 2900 Thornapple River Dr. SE Grand Rapids. Open 8:00 AM – 11:00 PM.
CITY OF GRAND RAPIDS
The City of Grand Rapids also has water playgrounds and wading pools at various parks. According to the Parks and Rec Department of Grand Rapids the pools and splash pads will both be open from June 5 – August 29.
Open noon – 6:00 PM daily. May be closed on Sundays.
- ABERDEEN PARK. Eastern at Evelyn NE, Grand Rapids.
- MULICK PARK. 1761 Rosewood SE Grand Rapids.
Open 11:00 AM- 8:00 PM daily.
- JOE TAYLOR PARK. 1030 Bemis SE, Grand Rapids.
- ALGER PARK SCHOOL. 921 Alger SE, Grand Rapids.
- HEARTSIDE PARK. 69 Ionia SE, Grand Rapids.
- MARY WATERS PARK. 1042 Lafayette NE, Grand Rapids.
- GERALD R. FORD MIDDLE SCHOOL. 851 Madison SE, Grand Rapids.
- ALLENDALE TWP PARK SPLASH PAD
Reader Comment: The one here in Allendale is pretty small, but perfect for a low-key day. It is located in the Allendale Township Park (corner of Lake Michigan Drive (M-45) and 68th), and there is playground equipment as well. There are NOT a lot of picnic tables, but if you bring a blanket, there’s plenty of grass. It was finished Summer of 2012, so it’s in pretty good shape! I believe [in 2013] the water came on about 10 am.
- MAPLEWOOD PARK. 8000 12th Avenue Jenison.
Reader Comment: The Maplewood Splashpad is open from 11am-8pm. It is really nice and has a nice playground, too. There is a limited number of shaded tables, but there is space in the grass for umbrellas if you bring your own. Also worth noting, there is one of the huge cell phone towers right in the lot to the park. There are some strong arguments that argue being in close proximity to them isn’t safe and arguments that it is fine…either way, just nice to know it’s there if that’s something you don’t want your kiddos (and yourself) around.
- DOWNTOWN HOLLAND SPLASH PAD. 99 East 8th St, Holland. Open 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM.
Please leave us a comment if you know of other area splash pads or water parks.