GRAND RAPIDS SPORTS & RECREATION GUIDE 2020
Grand Rapids loves sports!
We can usually watch pro teams like the Whitecaps, the Griffins, the Drive, and the Grand Rapids FC, but this year with large venues closed, youth sports are where it’s at. (Okay, we’ve always loved watching youth sports!) Schools and organizations have made plans for player and audience safety and are excited to take to the field.
Grand Rapids has programs for kids of all ages, interests and abilities. Whether it is soccer, lacrosse or martial arts, our guide will get you started on finding the right physical outlet for your little athlete.
The list is organized by sport, so browse through each section and figure out the best fit for your child. No matter their athletic interests, there is a team in Grand Rapids for them!
Jump to find your sport of choice within this guide:
Ice Skating/Hockey »
Martial Arts »
Speed & Agility »
Ultimate Frisbee »
*The following are sponsored listings.
Grand Rapids Soccer for Kids
Soccer is considered the most popular sport in the world and if you walked around most towns in West Michigan on a fall or spring weekend, you’d probably agree.
You’ll find kids everywhere dressed in their soccer uniforms, on their way to or from a soccer game. If this sport is popular in your house, our list includes several options to get your kids out on the soccer field.
Grand Rapids Swim Teams for Kids
In our Great Lakes state, teaching kids to swim feels like a necessity. If your child loves the water or wants to become a better swimmer, there are many great opportunities.
Our list includes both lessons and swim team options, giving kids of all interests and abilities a place to enjoy the sport of swimming.
Unique Sports for Kids
Lacrosse, Equestrian, Ultimate Frisbee + More
If your kid is looking for a new energy outlet and a chance to try something different, take a look at these places around West Michigan offering a wide range of unique sports opportunities.
When our son was just a toddler, he would love pointing out all of the basketball hoops he could find as we drove through town. It became obvious to him and to everyone else in the car how many people love basketball.
West Michigan is filled with opportunities for kids who want to take their basketball skills from the driveway to the big court.
If you have a child eyeing to be the next Serena Williams or Roger Federer, there are many youth tennis programs available, starting as early as age three years old! West Michigan tennis options for kids are on our list below.
At some point it seems every kid wants a horse, and can you blame them? Horses are amazing animals so it makes perfect sense that kids would enthusiastically want to join an equestrian team.
These local equestrian organizations will help your kid fill that horse-sized hole in their heart.
We asked our readers where we could take kids to ride horses for the day and you gave us answers! We gathered that information in one place in case you missed it.
Use this list to find out more about where to take your kids for a day of riding or lessons. Plus, each of these locations comes recommended by one of our Facebook fans – you can’t beat that!
- Double RR Ranch | 4424 Whites Bridge Rd | Belding, MI 48809 | 616-794-0520
- Great Lakes Equestrian Center LLC | 6165 140th Ave | Holland MI 49423 | 616-566-7780
- Karin’s Horse Connection and Legacy Stables | 8001 Patterson Ave | Caledonia, MI 49316 | 616-570-1106
- Meadowview Farm | 9914 Vergennes St SE | Lowell, MI 49331 | 616-897-9944
- Spirit Farms Riding Center at YMCA Camp Manitou-Lin | 1095 N Briggs Rd | Middleville, Michigan | 888-909-2267
- Stony Lake Stables | 4345 S 44th Ave | New Era, MI 49446 | 231-861-4445
Whether they play on a court or in the sand, volleyball is a fast-paced sport that many kids enjoy. Is volleyball of interest to your child? Take a look at the camps and clubs on our volleyball program list.
MORE PLACES TO PLAY VOLLEYBALL
- Davenport University Nike Volleyball Camps | 6201 68th St SE, Caledonia, MI 49316
- Dead Frog Volleyball | 8895 Byron Commerce Dr | SW Byron Center, MI 49315 | 616-878-7600
- Far Out Volleyball Club | 6910 Brownell CT. SE | Grand Rapids, MI 49508
- Inside Out Juniors | 3367 Hoyt Street | Muskegon, MI 49444 | 231-739-3311
- Michigan Volleyball Academy | 5435 28th St Ct SE | Grand Rapids, MI 49546 | 616-608-5905
- YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids | 7 Locations in Greater Grand Rapids
Golf is a great sport for kids and many parents love that kids can take what they learn and continue with this sport into adulthood.
We are fortunate to have so many outstanding courses in West Michigan, and equally as lucky that so many of these courses offer junior golf programs. Sign up your little golfer for one of the programs below.
ICE SKATING & HOCKEY
Living with our cold Michigan winters, it is no surprise that hockey and ice skating are popular options for kids’ athletics. Whether your child loves to hit a puck on the ice or twirl around on it, there are several local programs to get someone started in hockey or ice skating.
For information on other skating, hockey, and other winter sports in greater Grand Rapids, please view our Winter Outdoor Play Guide.
MARTIAL ARTS PROGRAMS
White belt, red belt or yellow belt? No matter the skill level, martial arts programs have something for every child. Find the right program for your family here. Several martial arts programs are listed below.
With over 100 million people tuning in to watch the Super Bowl each year, it is no wonder that many kids ask to join a football team.
If someone in your family is wanting to be the next Barry Sanders or Tom Brady, check out our listings of both flag football and traditional tackle football programs below.
MORE PLACES TO PLAY FLAG FOOTBALL
- Caledonia Youth Flag Football | Caledonia, Michigan
- Grand Rapids Christian Flag Football | 2400 Plymouth Avenue SE | Grand Rapids, MI 49506 | 616-574-6000
- i9 Sports | 5936 Glen Ellyn Ct | Grand Rapids, MI 49546 | 616-256-0856
- Lowell Youth Flag Football | PO Box 162 | Lowell, MI 49331
- National Flag Football | 2055 Franklin Road | Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302 | 248-454-9700
- Northview Wildcat Flag Football | Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Rockford Youth Flag Football | Rockford, Michigan
MORE PLACES TO PLAY YOUTH TACKLE FOOTBALL
- Caledonia Youth Football | Caledonia, Michigan
- East Grand Rapids Youth Football League | 750 Lakeside Drive SE | East Grand Rapids, MI 49506 | 616-949-2110
- Forest Hills Youth Football League | Grand Rapids & Ada, Michigan
- Grand Rapids Christian Youth Football | 2400 Plymouth Avenue SE | Grand Rapids, MI 49506 | 616-574-6000
- Kentwood Rocket Football | 6230 Kalamazoo Ave SE | Kentwood, Michigan
- Lowell Youth Football | PO Box 162 | Lowell, MI 49331
- Northview Wildcat Youth Football | Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Rockford Youth Football | Rockford, Michigan
There is a reason people have been singing the classic song Take Me Out to the Ball Game for years. Baseball is fun, both to play and watch.
Whether it is signing up for little league or a competitive travel program, options are everywhere for the baseball enthusiast.
MORE PLACES TO PLAY BASEBALL
- Algoma Little League | 10531 Algoma Ave NE | Rockford, MI 49341
- Allendale Little League | Allendale, Michigan
- Baseball Concepts | 12360 Felch St. #11 | Holland, Mi 49424 | 949-357-6293
- Belding Little League | PO BOX 36 | Belding, Michigan 48809
- Byron Township Little League | Byron Center, Michigan
- Caledonia Chaos Fastpitch Softball | 9210 Cherry Valley SE | Caledonia, Michigan 49316
- Caledonia Little League / Caledonia Baseball Softball League | Caledonia, Michigan
- Flames | 425 36th St SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49548 | 616-856-6157
- Georgetown Little League | Georgetown Township, Michigan
- Grand Rapids Blaze Softball | 425 36th Street SW | Grand Rapids, Michigan | 616-288-6255
- Grandville Little League | P.O. Box 53 | Grandville, Michigan 49468
- Hamilton Little League | 4845 136th Avenue | Hamilton MI 49419 | 269-751-2459
- Holland Little League | P.O.Box 1126 | Holland, Michigan 49423
- Hudsonville Little League | Hudsonville, Michigan
- i9 Sports | 5936 Glen Ellyn Ct | Grand Rapids, MI 49546 | 616-256-0856
- Lowell Little League | PO Box 292 | Lowell, MI 49331
- Northeastern Little League | PO Box 150067 | Grand Rapids, Michigan 49515
- Northern Little League | 2900 Monroe NE | Grand Rapids, Michigan 49505
- Northview Little League | Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Northwestern Little League | Comstock Park, Michigan
- Rockford Little League | P.O. Box 513 | Rockford, Michigan 49341
- Southeast Little League | 1807 Durango Ct | Wyoming,Michigan 49519
- Southern Little League | 1900 Hall St SE | Grand Rapids, Michigan 49506
- Sparta Little League | Sparta, Michigan
- Thornapple Valley Baseball League | 6757 Cascade Road SE #166 | Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546
- Thunder Fastpitch | PO Box 51 | Grand Rapids, MN 55744 | 218-259-4615
- West Michigan Outlaws | 900 47th St., Suite B | Wyoming, Michigan 49509
- West Michigan Warriors Travel Baseball and Softball | 4396 Airwest Dr SE | Grand Rapids, MI 49512
- Western Little League | P.O. Box 140731 | Grand Rapids MI 49514
- YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids | 7 Locations in West Michigan
- Zeeland Little League | 320 E Main Zeeland, MI 49464 | 616-748-3230
DANCE & GYMNASTICS PROGRAMS
For information on dance programs in greater Grand Rapids, please view our Guide to Music, Theater, Art, and Dance Classes in Grand Rapids.
For information on gymnastics programs, please check out our Gymnastics Guide.
Would you like to see your sport featured? Click here!
Feel free to pin this image for future reference.