We’re Giving You Something to Look Forward to Every Day for the Next 21 Days
As you already know, events are being canceled, businesses are temporarily closing and kids are out of school for three (or more) weeks.
We also know it will be a challenge for kids to be away from school for so long, for working parents trying to juggle child care, and for parents home with little ones all day. Not to mention trying to keep everyone healthy while unsure what to participate in during the break.
Beginning next week, we will be sharing things to help you over the upcoming weeks — the GRKIDS team is putting on a 21-Day ‘Home for the Count’ Challenge.
We’re lining up community members & organizations (their response to this spur-of-the-moment project has been phenomenal!) to lead us through daily 15-20 minute activities via video.
These videos will be streamed over our Facebook page and families will be able to participate every day. You’ll have a chance to share a picture of your accomplishments – and we may even have some prizes (still working that one out!)
We hope that this will be a great way to keep our families engaged in the community even while practicing social distancing.
Look Forward to:
- Follow-Along dance + Yoga lessons
- A Cartoon Drawing Lesson
- Easy Art & Craft Ideas (How-to videos with these too)
- Family Challenges
- Fun Science Experiments (Video demos you can follow along to)
- Outdoor Activities
- Ideas for Helping Families in need
How to Follow along with the 21-day ‘Home for the Count’ ChallengeFun, interactive videos will be posted to our Facebook page every day at 10 am starting Monday, March 16th.
Stay tuned for all this and more in our upcoming emails. We’ll also be sharing videos and tips on Instagram and Facebook and we would love to have you follow along there.
See below for links to each day’s videos. We’ll add them as they’re published and give you a heads up on any items needed for the next day.
Make it More Fun
Complete the challenge, get a sticker!
Follow along every day and at the end, we’ll tell you how to get this sweet decal for yourself.
Check off Your Challenges. Start at Any Time!
Print a checklist and check off challenges as you complete them.
Thanks to our community partners – and the GRKIDS & Co team – for making this project possible:
Do You Have a Business that Would Like to Get Involved?
We’re looking for prizes for the 21-Day Challenge participants, and potentially more video partners.
Let us know you’re interested and get more info here.
Daily Video Links
- Description: Today’s challenge is FORT BUILDING. Watch the video to get great tips from Bekah’s family and a look at the cool fort they built. We’re excited to see how your family participates! We want to see your forts and hear about how you’re building them!! — drop photos of your forts as a comment here. Who knows, we may “show off” your fort on our Instagram page!
- Needed for tomorrow: – A black or dark-colored marker – A white piece of paper – Scrap paper (scrapbook paper, construction paper, old magazines, wrapping paper) – Glue (glue stick or white school glue) – Scissors (optional)
- Description: Today’s challenge is BUNNY DOODLES. Watch the video and follow along
- Supplies Needed: – A black or dark-colored marker – A white piece of paper – Scrap paper (scrapbook paper, construction paper, old magazines, wrapping paper) – Glue (glue stick or white school glue) – Scissors (optional)
- Description: Today’s challenge is Hip Hop Breaking. Watch the video and follow along
- Supplies Needed: Comforatable clothes and a space to move around.
- Description: Today’s challenge: make art out of your recyclables!
- Supplies Needed: glue, scissors, toilet paper tube, markers, bottle caps
- Description: Today, see what your body can do. Choose from the workout challenge or the simon says challenge!
- Supplies Needed: Athletic clothing and room to move around.
- Description: Build a house out of playing cards! Stick around for a bonus little kid sing-along storytime after the challenge.
- Supplies Needed: Playing cards or other building materials.
- Description: Do the classic vinegar & baking soda experiment – with a twist!
- Supplies Needed: Containers, soap, vinegar, baking soda, food coloring. At the end, you may find it helpful to have spoons to play with your final product so your hands don’t get stinky or stained. Doing this experiment on a cookie sheet may be helpful.
- Description: Join Kevin and his puppet friends on the KDL Bookmobile as he leads us in a fun, interactive song!
- Supplies Needed: Imagination and singing voice. Paper and pencils, pens, crayons, markers, etc. are optional.
- Description: Grab your family and create a storybook using this interactive process.
- Supplies Needed: Imagination, paper, drawing/painting supplies, family members, stapler.
- Description: Get creative with household items and make a cool mask
- Supplies Needed: Empty cereal box, scissors, tape or glue, pencil, crayons/markers, ribbon, string or plastic.
- Description: a rejuvenating, simple Pilates-style sequence for families
- Supplies Needed: Exercise mat or towel on carpeted floor, water bottle, 4 rolls of toilet paper/containers of PlayDough or foam blocks.
- Description: Take up the GRCM’s challenge to create – and use – your own puppet!
- Supplies Needed: an old, clean sock bits of string, yarn, or ribbon hot glue or craft glue bits of fabric markers needle and thread scissors buttons decorative odds and ends
- Description: Make your own cloud in a bottle – but before you do that, predict what ingredients will make up your cloud
- Supplies Needed: 2-Liter Bottles (or other large, clear plastic bottles you can squeeze) matches, paper or incense, water, adult help optional printable recording sheet: https://grkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Cloud-in-a-Bottle-copy.pdf
- Description: Make Mexican Rice and Homemade Tortillas
- Supplies Needed: Basic kitchen supplies – see below
medium or large pot with a lid
heat safe spoon
liquid measuring cup
pastry blender OR 2 butter knives
rolling pin OR straight sided glass jar or drinking glass
cutting board OR clean countertop
electric griddle OR any size frying pan
spatula for flipping
FOR MEXICAN RICE:
1 cup white or brown rice
8-ounce can tomato sauce
1-2 Tbs. taco seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup water
optional: 2 Tbs. dry minced onion or 1 tsp. onion powder
optional: can of beans, like kidney, pinto, or black beans
(or double for larger families or to have leftovers!)
FOR HOMEMADE TORTILLAS:
2 cups white flour (or 1 c. can be whole wheat)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup palm shortening, coconut oil, butter or any solid fat
1/2 cup water
- Description: Do a fun, bendy yoga routine with a storybook from Renew Mama Studio
- Supplies Needed: stretchy clothes, stuffed animal, feathers or similar
- Description: Make an obstacle course in your home. Plus, stick around for bonus little kid class from The Little Gym!
- Supplies Needed: household supplies for your obstacle course