Fall in West Michigan might just be my favorite season, and that is saying a lot after coming off of summer in the Mitten State.
But there is something magical about the cool air, changing colors, shorter days, and the oh-so-good food this time of year (fresh cider and homemade donuts, please).
If you are like me, having to pack away the flip flops and shorts isn’t so bad, knowing that autumn is right around the corner. Below you will find some amazing fall activities for the whole family.
Find over 45 ideas below for experiencing a Grand Rapids fall with your kids.
Important Message: Local businesses are working hard to implement procedures based on the new safety guidelines. For each of the attractions and events we mention, we include a link to the business website. Please use this link to confirm the details, hours of operation and any requirements guests must follow before visiting. Thank You!
Taste the Flavors of Fall at Moelker Orchards & Farm Market
Moelker Orchards has been a staple in West Michigan since 1907. Our focus is on families and we love to make you smile. We offer many fall activities & goodies that are perfect for spending a memorable day with your family.
We grow tons of fresh fruit right on our farm. Including 23 different varieties of apples, which are available in our farm market store along with jams, salsas, apple cider, caramel apples, gift items, & more!
Our Old Bell Bakery offers delicious donuts, pies, cookies, breads, fudge & muffins. All are handmade and tantalizingly scrumptious. Also featuring ABeanToGo Coffee.
Beginning in mid-September, we have u-pick apples. We offer many different varieties, which ripen at different times throughout the season.
In October, we have a fun u-pick pumpkin patch with many different shapes and sizes! You are certain to find the perfect pumpkin!
Parents rave: “Love this place! A new tradition for my son and I. I love the huge pumpkin patch and apple picking, and the donuts and cider are the best I’ve ever had! Super friendly too and I love that it’s family owned.” – Abriel Duke
Looking for something to do on (almost) any run of the mill autumn day? Here’s a list to get you going but be sure to consult our Daily Calendar for even more ideas to fuel your Grand Rapids fall frolics.
Grand Rapids Fall Activities that You Can Do Nearly Any Day
1) Explore the Bricklive exhibit at John Ball Zoo, featuring life-size Lego depictions of zoo animals.
2) Brush up some fun by painting pottery at Accidental Art in Rockford.
Are you looking for something fun for the whole family?
At BattleGR Tactical Games, our goal is to provide fun & entertaining experiences through strategic team-on-team games, bringing people & families together to create unforgettable memories.
We do this through tactical laser tag and archery tag®. Each game has a different objective/strategy. Let us provide you with an experience you won’t soon forget!
We host special nights like teenish night, wristband day, Fortnite/Battle Royale day, Adult only nights. We can also bring the battle to you and set up on site for your event. Contact us for details about our mobile options.
4735 Lake Michigan Dr NW Suite E, Grand Rapids, MI 49534 WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | 616-345-0698
23) Covering 10-acres, Fruit Ridge Hayrides invites you to blast off to the moon at their 50th Anniversary Space Race corn maze. Don’t for get your smart phone for the MazeTracker game. It may be your only hope for making it back to earth. There is also a mini-maze for younger adventurers.
24) Have a farm fresh lunch before taking on all the fun that Ed Dunneback & Girls hosts from u-pick or corn maze and more.
25) Sit on the lap of a giant Raggedy Andy made from straw bales, awe over magnificent Clydesdale horses and more at Olin Farm in Lowell.
27) Honoring first responders, Heidi’s Farmstand & Bakery has two different corn mazes to navigate: a junior course designed to take 15-20 minutes as well as a longer one that takes 45-60 minutes to complete.
28) In Grand Haven, check Bethke Farms for hayrides, pumpkin picking, and a corn maze.
29) Gather your own harvest of apples and shop the farm market of Blok Orchard in Ada.
FAMILY FALL ACTIVITIES & FESTIVALS
These aren’t your run of the (cider) mill happenings! We’ve put together a list of events and activities that will need some time marked in your calendar.
From fairs and festivals, expos and conventions, and unique outings, autumn keeps rolling out exciting gatherings.
Fairs and Festivals are Different This Year
Some are canceled for 2020 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and the Michigan state shutdown. Others are forging on. And others are still waiting to make decisions. Find the full list of area fairs and festivals this season here.
Please check with all venues before heading out for your fall activities.
Fall Fairs, Festivals and Other Gatherings Families Will Enjoy
This is also the time of year to sign up kids for sports or music classes and keep up those trips to the library. We’ve even included a couple of “back to school” activities that parents won’t want to miss, like shopping for back to school clothes and making sure everyone is safe on the way to school each day.
Sports, Consignment Sales and Other Notable Fall Activities for Families
42) Check out attraction passes, downloaddigitalcontent and more when you explore the perks of your GRPL membership or KDL Card.
43) Have a certifiedtechnician make sure your littles are commuting safely with a car seat check.